A fellow playwright friend of mine was asking about opportunities with upcoming deadlines and as I started to compile the list for her I though, why not make a post about it? And since I couldn't think of why I shouldn't… I did!
###San Francisco Theater Pub presents, The Pub from Another World!, deadline is MARCH 1st!
- Local, Bay Area playwrights only. Exceptions may be made if you are from an alternate universe.
- Plays must be no more than 15 minutes long. We would prefer plays in the 10- to 15-minute range, but shorter pieces will be considered.
- Plays will be performed in a bar, but they do not have to be set in a bar. Although practical concerns make simple settings easier to stage, we encourage writers to transform the space into a starship bridge, a Balrog-guarded bridge, or an evil killer bridge through dialogue or stage directions, which may be read.
- We are looking for all types of plays: comedy, drama, romance, experimental, etc. The only requirement is that they include significant elements of sci-fi/fantasy/horror.
- Plays should be submitted electronically as a DOC or PDF with the playwright’s name and contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “First Name, Last Name – The Pub from Another World Submission.”
###MIRRORS: Monologues From Women’s Lives, deadline MARCH 31st!
This competition is open to women 16 years or older who submit between February 1 and March 31, 2013. Playwrights may submit only one monologue. Monologues must be unpublished and unproduced. Type your monologue on standard paper with 1-inch margins double-spaced in 12-point type. Number each page of the monologue.
Please avoid gratuitous profanity. We are unable to accept electronic submissions. Scripts will not be returned. We are unable to provide critiques for submissions.
Please send the following to the address below:
- 3 copies of your one to three page monologue with no identifying information on the title page. On the character page of your monologue, indicate the speaker’s age and the person(s) to whom she is speaking.
- 1 one unbound title page with all contact information
- Your signed Permission Form (see tab above)
- A 60-word bio
MIRRORS: Monologues From Women’s Lives
527 Third Avenue
New York, NY 10016
Questions? Please email us: email@example.com.
###Lucky Penny Productions, An 8 x 10 Holiday: A Festival of 10 Minute Plays, deadline is APRIL 30th!
FEE WAIVER OPTION: Special note on submission fee: Lucky Penny Productions and Napa Valley Playhouse empathize with writers who object to submission fees for events of this type. Our intent in requesting the submission fee is to fund the productions of these new works and support our theater. However, if you are opposed to submission fees on principle or cannot afford the fee, please include a note to that effect with your submission and it will be accepted with a fee waiver.
Scripts are now being accepted for “An 8 x 10 Holiday: A Festival of 10 Minute Plays” to be presented in December 2013 by Lucky Penny Productions and Napa Valley Playhouse. Both plays and musicals will be considered. All scripts must be new unproduced works and must have some connection in theme, character, plot, setting or other element to the end of the year or holidays. Minimalism in technical demands and staging is essential. Four characters or less, please. The author whose play is voted the “People's Choice” will receive a $100 honorarium.
For full submission guidelines, visit their website; luckypenny.com. Snail mail only.
###Piney Fork Press Theater, deadline is MAY 1st!
Submissions are now being accepted for the First Piney Fork Press Theater One Act Play Festival, to take place in June 2013 in New York City.
Seeking 10 minute plays (no more than 10 pp), preferably with no more than 5 characters. Also seeking monologues (no more than 4pp). Basic set requirements.
No more than 3 submissions per playwright. No profanity, as this is a family friendly festival! No submission fee. Please include name, address, telephone number and email address.
Piney Fork Press Theater Festival
22-73 43rd Street - JC
Astoria NY 11105
###MADLAB, deadline is JUNE 1st!
To maximize your chance of selection, please read all the guidelines carefully before submitting.
Though we are up for anything, ideally, scripts should be long one-acts (70-90 minutes) or two-act plays (100-120 minutes). If you have something else longer, please feel free to send it on.
You may submit multiple scripts.
Script submissions WILL NOT be returned to the applicant; MadLab will destroy all evidence of your creative instincts upon a funeral pyre at an undisclosed location in order to protect both the innocent and the guilty. Ashes will NOT be returned to you unless you purchase a commemorative urn from MadLab at the bargain basement price of $999.95.
Due to our environmentally conscious president, you must email your script to us. If emailing is absolutely impossible for you, please call us at 614.221.5418 so we can make alternate arrangements.
Please send your script attached as a Microsoft Word document or PDF format. Scripts should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “MADLAB 2014 SEASON” in the subject line. If “MADLAB 2014 SEASON” is not in your subject line, your submission may not be received. All submissions will receive a reply email to ensure that your submission was received. Please put “MADLAB 2014 SEASON” in the subject line.