Research Research and Outlines
I’m a little behind in my quest for writing SIX new full-length plays this year. So far I’ve gotten out first drafts (and in some cases second, third, and forth drafts) for the following plays that didn’t exist before 2017:
- NO MAP
- LET’S FIX ANDY
- CHEERLEADERS VS. ALIENS
Which I’m super proud of. I’ve been hitting the keyboard hard this year. BUT, I budgeted two months per play, and as I’ve got two plays left to complete and only 3 months, this challenge just got more challenging. I think I can do it, but it’s not going to be easy. First drafts have always been hard on me, I thrive on rewrites, and I usually have tie myself to my computer and just force out the early dribble. I’m hoping to finish my fifth play this month, giving myself all of November and December to tackle an ensemble Christmas play (yes, another first!).
And so, today I’m starting research and some rough sketches (that’ll hopefully get me closer to an outline) on a yet-to-be-titled play inspired by the collapse of the tech company Theranos. Right now I’m thinking it’ll be between 75 and 90 minutes with one non-stop scene. I’ve never written anything like this before either, sticking with the “firsts” theme for 2017 and I’m excited. Not sure how to break up my writing days as I tend to break them up with scenes, but looks like I’ll be figuring all that out before too long.
Okay, I’ve got a whole lot of work to get to - wish me luck!