I don't know about you, but my nerves are shot. I'm up, chugging tea, well before the sun, after a night of tossing, turning, and leaving my bed to check election results on my phone. This month I'm trying out NaNoWriMo for the first time, and have already managed to knock out 7,770 words in the first three days! I have no idea if I'll make it all the way, but I am grateful to have a world to escape to that isn't this one, right now.
Thinking about other worlds reminded me of all the lovely work and worlds created that I have experienced through the New Play Exchange. And that made me want to make an unofficial featured list!… You see, the New Play Exchange has a rotating list of recommended plays on their homepage curated by its members, and this morning, more than anything else I just want to curl under a warm blanket with a story that will take me someplace else. Maybe someplace better. Maybe someplace that will make me laugh. Or fill me with hope. Or make me think or cry or distract me. Or all of it and above! And so, here's my list… Ten plays I have read and cherished, and I offer them to you now as a small safe haven…
WARM BLANKET/DIFFERENT WORLD NEW PLAY EXCHANGE LIST:
- Magellanica by E. M. Lewis
- FLEX by Candrice Jones
- The Impracticality of Modern-Day Mastodons by Rachel Teagle
- Crying on Television by R. Eric Thomas
- form of a girl unknown by Charly Evon Simpson
- Ready Steady Yeti Go by David Jacobi
- Annie Jump and the Library of Heaven by Reina Hardy
- Abortion Road Trip by Rachel Lynett
- Little Happy Secrets by Melissa Leilani Larson
- OPEN by Crystal Skillman
If you need a better place to be, you can't go wrong with anything listed above.
Stay safe, stay sane, stay well.